[mythtv-users] Really frustrated trying setup MythTV

Jason Ward JasonFWard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 14:19:49 UTC 2013

----- Original message -----

From: Roger Siddons <[1]dizygotheca at ntlworld.com>

To: Discussion about MythTV <[2]mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Really frustrated trying setup MythTV

Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 01:24:43 -0000

mythtv_setup does generate the xml config files in the users folder.
Did you run it as the user? You should move (or symlink) them to
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/ for mythfilldatabase to find.

I don't know why the Border channel has disappeared but it shouldn't
affect the other channels.

Note that the EIT data & XMLTV data will conflict/overwrite each other
so you shouldn't use both at the same time. You should turn EIT off for
now (mythtv-setup/Video source).

There are options in mythtv_setup/General to control when
mythfilldatabase runs but it's probably easier just to wait 24 hrs and
check /var/logs/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log to see what happens.

If you still have problems then pastebinit that log for us.

[3]mythtv-users at mythtv.org

> mythtv_setup does generate the xml config files in the users folder.
Did you run it as the user? You should move (or symlink)  them to
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/ for mythfilldatabase to find.

Yeah, after much thought I realised some of my issue come from running
things via VNC (not a surprise as its part of the Mythbunutu install)
but I have no idea what the mythtv login's password is (or even if it
has one) and so have no way to use that login in VNC.  Either I've
missed something crucial here, or this seems like an oversight on the
part of Mythubuntu devs.

> Note that the EIT data & XMLTV data will conflict/overwrite each
other so you shouldn't use both at the same time. You should turn EIT
off for now (mythtv-setup/Video source).

Ah, OK, I assumed from something I read that the EIT was now used to
update data gathered elsewhere, I will switch it off, especially as I
know see I have to use different channel numbers and stuff in order to
integrate Freeveiw and Freesat feeds.

Jason