[mythtv-users] MiniMyth or PXE booting frontends on Mythbuntu

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Dec 1 22:57:49 UTC 2013

On 01/12/13 15:46, Karl Dietz wrote:
> On 01.12.2013 09:10, IsmoT wrote:
>>
>>>  What is the advantage of MiniMyth over PXE boot?
>>
>> For me it is "must" thing. I can manage whole system with one image file.
>> Frontends boot from network without worries about disk failure, corrupted
>> filesystem or unplanned system changes etc. Booting allways gets new, fresh
>> image that works. So, frontend user has no way to hassle system. Also, I can't
>> imagine myself to maintain all frontends os:es separately.
>>
>> I wonder why there are no alternatives to minimyth because of it advantages?
>> Or if there is I don't know about them. I remember that mythbuntu had some
>> kind like this functionality, but does it exist anymore?
>
> The basic LTS (Linux terminal server) functionality is still there and I have it
> running somehow. But it was not fun to set it up on the latest LTS (long term
> support) and the former integration as a one-click solution in
> mythbuntu-control-centre has bitrotted into uselessness :(
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~mythbuntu/mythbuntu/mb-diskless
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mythbuntu-dev/mythbuntu/mythbuntu-control-centre/view/head:/debian/changelog#L260
>

> It "just" needs someone to figure out the changes needed to track 5 years of
> changes and integrate them back in... ;)
>
> See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1998470 on the 10.04 -> 12.04 fallout.
>
> Regards,
> Karl
>
> PS: my lts.conf
> [default]
>      DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=""
>      KEEP_SYSTEM_SERVICES=lightdm

I'm running LTSP under stock Debian without any problems. The implementation is
a little obscure, however, you just need to know what the several scripts do and
which ones to use or avoid.

I used to run minimyth but found it more trouble to configure than a normal
front-end, so much so that I ended up putting an SSD in the FE box.

You could run myth over LTSP, I did investigate that, but the SSD was the
no-brainer solution.

--

Mike Perkins