[mythtv-users] Fwd: Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Captain Hook captainhookzero at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 15:35:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> On 30/08/13 19:21, Captain Hook wrote:
>

>> There's an interesting theory.  I do have a Sprint LTE phone, but there is
>> no LTE in my area and I am on wifi at home all the time except when the
>> screen is off.  I do have a Sprint Airrave in my house as well (mini cell
>> tower via internet) since my signal is horrible in my house, though it is
>> quite far from my Prime and so is my phone 95% of the time.
>>
>> That said, I do know for sure that I have had damaged recordings when I
>> have not been home, so I don't think this is the cause, although I guess
>> it
>> could be some other sort of interference.
>>
>>  But did you turn your mini-cell tower off when you went out? My bet is
> that it would still be there, polling, even if you were not.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I did not turn off the mini cell tower; it stays on all the time.

I have rewired everything again as I am not comfortable using an amplifier
to amplify my signal, only to use multiple splitters to reduce it back
down.  It doesn't seem to make sense.  Instead I have connected the Monster
cable 4-way splitter (-7.5dBmV/output) to the cable coming in from Comcast
and connected my HDHR Prime directly to one of the outputs.  Another output
of the Monster Cable splitter is connected to another splitter
(-3.5dBmV/output) which goes to my TVs.  Another output of the Monster
Cable splitter then goes to my existing long run to my cable modem.

I am now seeing between -0.5dBmV to +1.8dBmV on the HDHR Prime depending on
channel and +1.87dBmV to +2.60dBmV on my cable modem (it shows 4 readings
for downstream).  In addition, the cable modem seems to now be showing
three upstreams when before it was only showing 2.  Although it does say
DOCSIS 2.0 for two of the streams and DOCSIS 1.X for another.

I am going to send back the Motorola amplifier as I am no longer using it
in this scenario.