[mythtv-users] mythfrontend with radeon driver

glen glenb at glenb.us
Fri Aug 30 22:02:37 UTC 2013

On 08/30/2013 01:26 PM, HP-mini wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-08-30 at 13:20 -0500, Dave Ulrick wrote:
>> I'm a happy MythTV 0.26 (Fedora 19 with KDE) user who's pleased but a bit
>> surprised that the front end is working so _well_ for me. The mystery is
>> that my PC has an ATI video card that's driven by the Xorg 'radeon'
>> driver. Judging by the mythtv.org Wikis, I really ought to be using an
>> NVidia card with the closed-source NVidia driver if I want the best video
>> playback performance, but in spite of the radeon driver's lack of
>> acceleration features such as VDPAU I've been enjoying smooth glitch-free
>> video.
>>
>> At first I did see occasional video choppiness, but that's not been an
>> issue since I enabled the RTC video timing method. I'm using the "normal"
>> video playback profile because the high-quality and OpenGL profiles do
>> give me some video choppiness. I've experimented with the ATI flglx
>> drivers as well as an NVidia card, but I ended up going back to the
>> ATI/radeon combination because it gave me the best combination of
>> mythfrontend and non-MythTV desktop environment (KDE) video performance.
>>
>> If my experience is any guide, it may be worthwhile for people with ATI
>> video cards to try mythfrontend with the open-source radeon driver.
>> Perhaps there's not such a need for video acceleration if the PC's CPU has
>> adequate cycles.
>>
>> Dave
> Note that the FOSS radeon driver supports (a subset of) VDPAU & VAAPI on
> some AMD h/w via the UVD engine.
> http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
>
> KDE desktop settings allow composite effects redirection to be disabled
> for full screen video apps like MythTV.

how do you go about enabling the rtc timing method ?; using the wiki
instructions mine showed another method but i could not find where it
showed how to change the method; only how to make the settings for the
rtc timing once it is in use.

on an amd e-350 i have vdpau working fairly well and there was a
noticeable improvement under the latest kernel that offers the power
management which allows the video chip to run faster. you need the 9.2
version of mesa and a kernel that has the uvd support for vdpau, the
firmware files from amd, and the 3.11 kernel for the new power
management features. i use ubuntu so the kernels are there in the drm
next section.