[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 29 14:27:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 15:10:48 +0100, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I understand correctly, logging off, instead of powering off will
> allow myth to power off the box and thereby enable powering on for
> recordings >when set up properly.

Depends on the scripts you use later on. Mythbackend will power off when
you exit the frontend (provided there's no in-progress/imminent
recordings, jobs etc). If by "logging off" you mean you're also using the
system as a desktop & the frontend isn't running, then you need to set up
the scripts to prevent Myth shutting the system down until you have logged
out.

> But I've hit a brick wall before I get that far, I'm following the
> how-to  for setting the alarm when clock is in RTC, I've swapped the
> "&gt" >command for ">." and even prefaced with "sudo" and still
> permission is denied. What have I missed?
>
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ SECS=`date -u --date "2013-08-29 10:15:00" +%s`
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ echo 0 >.; /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
> bash: .: Is a directory
> bash: /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Permission denied
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo echo 0 >.; /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
> bash: .: Is a directory
> bash: /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Permission denied
> daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$
>
> Dary

What you want is;

echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

as per the Myth wiki at  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup

The link you posted has errors in it. The ">" symbol has been rendered as
"&gt;" for the reasons Chris stated