[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:10:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Roger Siddons <dizygotheca at ntlworld.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>  * local wall clock time and add the conversion between UTC and local
>>    time to your MythTV shutdown script
>>  * UTC without any calculations on the linux side, but needs a registry
>>    hack for windows (see Chris' mail, this option is new to me)
>>

>>  I don't get the option for S5, just 1,2,3, or auto, and terminal output
>>> says I can wake from S4...more confusion
>>>

>> S5 is what happens when you tell the computer to power off instead of
>> some kind of sleeping.
>>

>>        * your tuners support whichever power saving state you decide on
>>> (do
>>>         they need special fiddling to come back to working state?)
>>>
>>> Don't know how to do that
>>>

>> look for known issues with your selected hardware. Maybe on linuxtv or
>> search the internet for problems reported by others.
>

> Would my experience with powering off during nights when I know I'll be up
> before the next recording indicate that my hardware is OK with S5?
>

> Yes. Regarding your S1/S2/S3/Auto: I suspect you're looking at the BIOS
> option for what to do when the system is suspended, ie. you briefly press
> the power switch. This is irrelevant. When these scripts shut Myth down it
> will turn itself off in the same way as you do manually (S5). The important
> point is that you set the BIOS to power up automatically at your alarm time
> via the RTC Alarm/Wakeup/whatever option.
>
> The terminal S4 comment is also irrelevant. I'm guessing it's an
> informational message to distinguish your system from very old systems that
> didn't support S4. Also note that the link you're following (on a cursory
> reading) appears very similar to http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup#BIOS_setup>,
> which has been around for years.
>

>>        * MythTV likes whatever state you decide on. hint: full shutdown is
>>>         known to work well :-)
>>>
>>> Don't know how to do this either
>>>

>> follow bug reports and user discussion wrt hibernate etc. but plain old
>> turn off and on is known to work. I have no idea how the backend likes
>> it if the system time suddenly jumps ahead some hours/days.
>>

>> I'd just try if the system comes back up when you set an alarm in
>> 5 minutes and shut down. If that doesn't work disable the update of the
>> hwclock on shutdown, see the howto you referred to. And only if that
>> does not work start looking into the other options.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Karl
>>

> I'm thinking I'll toggle to auto, rather than S1,2,or3; should give me the
> best shot for the first test anyway.
>
> Thanks, Daryl
>

> Also, be aware that auto-wake will only work if Myth shut down the system.
> If you use your Windows OS (or a Linux desktop) then they will clear any
> RTC alarm when they shut down. You will have to re-boot into Myth
> afterwards and then shut it down to re-set the alarm and auto-wake for the
> next recording. It's easy to forget this and miss recordings...

If I understand correctly, logging off, instead of powering off will allow
myth to power off the box and thereby enable powering on for recordings
when set up properly.
But I've hit a brick wall before I get that far, I'm following the how-to
 for setting the alarm when clock is in RTC, I've swapped the "&gt" command
for ">." and even prefaced with "sudo" and still permission is denied. What
have I missed?

daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ SECS=`date -u --date "2013-08-29 10:15:00" +%s`
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ echo 0 >.; /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
bash: .: Is a directory
bash: /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Permission denied
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ sudo echo 0 >.; /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
bash: .: Is a directory
bash: /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Permission denied
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$

Daryl