[mythtv-users] Pixelation/Bad Recordings HDHR Prime -- I am at my wits end

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Aug 29 09:47:03 UTC 2013

On 29/08/13 09:05, mythtv at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> Quoting Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net>:
>> So I basically had to
>> reprogram my Linux system that was acting as my router to account for
>> this; it is attached to the "house" network, so that all the other
>> machines in the house can keep their IPs. And then it is attached to the
>> 10.0.0/24 net and sets its default route to 10.0.0.1. Thus I have
>> another router between me and my public IP. I had to make a number of
>> other changes to make this work (IPSEC tunnels and so forth; fortunately
>> the Comcast box at least supports port forwarding).
>
> That is a very good approach. I use the same but have ADSL instead of cable. The
> ADSL box is just a wifi access point (completely open and unsecured) and my home
> server connects to it and acts as a firewall/router for the other machines
> around the house. I don't use the ethernet ports on the ADSL box as every time
> we have a thunderstorm close by it blows the power supply plug on the ADSL
> router so I don't want any naughty electrons from the sky zooming around the
> ethernet wiring.

Yep. I'm about to be faced by a similar situation with BT Infinity (UK). As a
long time user of pfSense firewalls I am appalled by the fact that someone can
stick a box on my network with a built-in wireless AP with potential ingress to
my LAN(s).

It doesn't look like I can add my extensive firewall rules to this box either: I
will simply plug my existing firewall box into the BT router/AP and consider
their box part of the "Interwebs". What they choose to do outside my LAN is
their own affair.

--

Mike Perkins