[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 23:30:36 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Karl Dietz <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
> > wrote:
>
>> On 28.08.2013 22:33, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>>
>>>     If I understand it correctly using UTC or not is a decision that is
>>>     mostly made depending on presence of other (Windows) operating
>>> systems
>>>     dual-booting on the same hardware.
>>> I do have dual boot, so I should opt for RTC?
>>>

>> according to the other mail you can choose to set your hardware clock
>> chip to:
>>  * local wall clock time and add the conversion between UTC and local
>>    time to your MythTV shutdown script
>>  * UTC without any calculations on the linux side, but needs a registry
>>    hack for windows (see Chris' mail, this option is new to me)
>>

>>  I don't get the option for S5, just 1,2,3, or auto, and terminal output
>>> says I can wake from S4...more confusion
>>>

>> S5 is what happens when you tell the computer to power off instead of
>> some kind of sleeping.
>>

>>        * your tuners support whichever power saving state you decide on
>>> (do
>>>         they need special fiddling to come back to working state?)
>>>
>>> Don't know how to do that
>>>

>> look for known issues with your selected hardware. Maybe on linuxtv or
>> search the internet for problems reported by others.
>

> Would my experience with powering off during nights when I know I'll be up
> before the next recording indicate that my hardware is OK with S5?
>

>>        * MythTV likes whatever state you decide on. hint: full shutdown is
>>>         known to work well :-)
>>>
>>> Don't know how to do this either
>>>

>> follow bug reports and user discussion wrt hibernate etc. but plain old
>> turn off and on is known to work. I have no idea how the backend likes
>> it if the system time suddenly jumps ahead some hours/days.
>>

>> I'd just try if the system comes back up when you set an alarm in
>> 5 minutes and shut down. If that doesn't work disable the update of the
>> hwclock on shutdown, see the howto you referred to. And only if that
>> does not work start looking into the other options.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Karl
>>

> I'm thinking I'll toggle to auto, rather than S1,2,or3; should give me the
> best shot for the first test anyway.
>
> Thanks, Daryl

OK I modified the wake alarm script ala the how-to and entered the first
line of the "simple test" and this was returned:
 daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$ echo 0 &gt; /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm
[1] 3978
0
gt: command not found
[1]+  Done                    echo 0
bash: /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Permission denied
daryl at daryl-A780L3C:~$

>From permission denied I'm guessing it needs to be executed with sudo, but
I won't get anywhere if the "gt" command is not recognized. Did I miss
something?

Daryl