[mythtv-users] Carbon Footprint

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Wed Aug 28 20:30:24 UTC 2013

On 28.08.2013 22:13, Chris Porter wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Karl Dietz
> <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org <mailto:dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 28.08.2013 19:28, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>
>         Greetings Mythizens, In the interest o reducing my carbon
>         footprint I'm
>         looking into the auto-wake/shutdown features, but I need some
>         clarification. From this site:
>         http://ghichepcanhan.com/2013/__05/29/how-to-setup-automatic-__shutdown-and-automatic-wakeup-__with-mythtv/
>         <http://ghichepcanhan.com/2013/05/29/how-to-setup-automatic-shutdown-and-automatic-wakeup-with-mythtv/>
>

>         which makes me think there is no UTC option and I must use rtc,
>         further
>

>     If I understand it correctly using UTC or not is a decision that is
>     mostly made depending on presence of other (Windows) operating systems
>     dual-booting on the same hardware.
>     Pro UTC: no hassle with DST etc
>     Con UTC: hassle with dual boot
>
>     You will be using the Real Time Clock chip with UTC or local time.
>

> When using automatic shutdown and wakeup you are required to set your
> hwclock to UTC. The time format used is stored in UTC time.

hmm, got a reference for that?
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup#BIOS_setup says

"If supported by your environment, set the time to UTC (Coordinated
  Universal Time); UTC is the most desirable option because translation
  to local time is not required and daylight saving time is
  automatically handled. If UTC is not supported in your environment you
  will need to recalculate the time before you write it to the RTC."

which matches my prior knowledge (1st and 2nd hand)

Regards,
Karl