[mythtv-users] Recording drive disappeared...fine on reboot

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 18:46:35 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> But, regardless, at http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/, it says,
> "Compatibility with SATA-to-USB adapters is uncertain."

Different SATA-USB adapters have some very different implementaions.
I have seen some that are try to abstract the storage (and add in some
"reserved" space at the beginning of the disk, just like RAID controllers)
which make swapping disks in/out of the adapter to a direct SATA
connection impossible (and I think SMART was confused too)).
Others are reasonable well behaved.  "Uncertain" is the nicest wording
I can think of for the crap shoot.

Gary