[mythtv-users] Recording drive disappeared...fine on reboot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Aug 28 16:18:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 09:41:27 -0600, you wrote:

>On Wed, 2013-08-28 at 15:19 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>

>> Get idle3-tools from here:
>>
>>   http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/
>
>I've got a Debian Wheezy system (Raspbian, a Raspberry Pi) that has a
>green drive attached via USB, and the idle3ctl program fails to identify
>it. Does it work only on internal drives and not on USB-attached drives?
>
>--Greg

I have only ever used it with drives on SATA ports, so I just tried it
with one of mine on my dual USB 3.0 dock and it did not work:

root at mypvr:~# idle3ctl -g /dev/sdl
sg16(VSC_SENDKEY) failed: Invalid exchange
sg16(VSC_DISABLE) failed: Invalid exchange

So it looks like you will need to move the drive to a SATA or eSATA
port somewhere to set the timeout.  Or you could have a look at the
source code and try to see why it does not work on USB.