[mythtv-users] One HDMI question from (Hijacked): HDMI sound issues

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Aug 27 18:53:52 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 13:43 +0200, Marius Schrecker wrote:

> Thanks very much. I think my confusion was that Alsa might set one
> default device, that would be picked up by both.

You are right.  There pretty much has to be one 'default' device; its
right there in the definition of 'default.  :)  But Myth isn't limited
to that since you can specify any alsa device you want in the Myth
setup.  And most other software is also capable of being configured to
use a different output device, either through its graphical interface, a
config file or a command line option.  So one or the other will need to
be manually adjusted.  For your use I'd recommend you default alsa to
the optical port and manually override Myth to use the hdmi.

But I was hoping this thread would have turned up a simple way to output
to multiple devices.  I'd also like to do it but couldn't see any
non-trivial way to get it.  At some point I'd like to use my receiver's
2nd zone but it won't route any of the digital inputs, only analog
inputs.  That isn't too bad a restriction since most AV gear output both
at the same time... but a big problem with any PC based AV setup.  I'd
mostly just be wanting to use MythMusic in another room so sync isn't an
issue.  But I have twiddled in the internals of sound on Linux to know
any clueless tinkering I try would be more likely to just destabilize an
otherwise working sound setup.