[mythtv-users] recent information for programming harmony remotes?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 26 23:30:19 UTC 2013

On 08/26/2013 06:49 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

>>> I wonder if that's because they are trying to get more out of the harmony remote than just making it do what any $10 All-for-One remote can do, since the Harmony remotes are supposed to be so much more capable.
>> The harmony has a lot of functionality above and beyond your $10 all for one.  I won't ever be able to get the all-in-one to turn on my projector, lower the screen, dim the lights, turn on all my components, and properly set the right inputs.
> Sure are.  You just can't hope to do it all with a single button.

Then again, there's always the "dumb remote, smart receiver" approach.
Use any remote you want hooked into your MythTV box(es) and set up a
LIRC transmitter, too, that can send the appropriate signals to all the
appropriate pieces in response to whatever button you want to press.
IMHO, there's no need for a smart remote when you're using the remote to
send signals to a computer--that's already a lot "smarter" (or at least
much more general) than any remote.

Mike