[mythtv-users] recent information for programming harmony remotes?

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Mon Aug 26 21:46:20 UTC 2013

On 08/25/2013 10:44 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

>> I found programming the harmony remotes to be way more complicated in
>> most of these guides than it has to be.
>
> I wonder if that's because they are trying to get more out of the
> harmony remote than just making it do what any $10 All-for-One remote
> can do, since the Harmony remotes are supposed to be so much more
> capable.

The harmony has a lot of functionality above and beyond your $10 all for
one.  I won't ever be able to get the all-in-one to turn on my
projector, lower the screen, dim the lights, turn on all my components,
and properly set the right inputs.

>> I bought an MCE receiver which is well supported under Linux and
>> MythTV.  Then I just tell harmony that I have an Microsoft Media
>> Center PC.
>
> But then you are lowering the functionality of the Harmony remote down
> to the lower common denominator of that (comparably) impotent little
> MCE remote.  Again, something any cheapo All-for-One remote can do,
> for $10.  I'm hoping to get much more functionality than that.

its not about the remote, its about the receiver.  Using the MCE config
for the harmony gives you are starting point with many of the inputs
already correctly mapped.

If that doesn't provide you enough, you can always learn inputs from any
other remote and add that to your harmony config and lirc.

The longest, but most powerful method is of course to tell harmony you
have some device with a LOT of buttons like a receiver.  Then you map
each of those buttons to the right key presses in mythtv. This is the
most time consuming and most flexible.

For me, it was far easier to start with a working configuration and add
the 5-6 menu items that I needed.

Mcihael