[mythtv-users] MP4 subtitles

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 17:10:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 8/22/2013 12:04 PM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
>>
>>>   Added as ticket 11772 <http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11772>
>>>
>>>    Thanks for the sample.  It'll take some new development to get this
>> implemented in MythTV, but since ffmpeg seems to understand the tx3g
>> format, it should be doable.
>>
>>  Jim
>>
>>  I used HandBrake to create the same sample in a mkv container and mythtv
>> can display the subtitles just fine.
>>
>> I should have actually tested before posting.  The subtitles in the
> sample display properly for me in mythfrontend, using Master.  Most likely,
> this is a deficiency in the version of ffmpeg that was used with 0.25.

Just to close on this discussion.  Others confirmed that your sample does
not show subtitles in either 0.25 or 0.26.  This strongly suggests a
problem in older versions of ffmpeg, but fixed recently enough that some
ffmpeg resync for 0.27 has the fix (as does vlc).  Presumably the older
ffmpeg recognizes this subtitle type inside a mkv container but not mp4.

Jim