[mythtv-users] Hauppauge grey remote with homemade serial IR receiver in MythTV 0.26 and Fedora 19

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Aug 26 09:47:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:30:07 +1000, you wrote:

>On 26 August 2013 19:05, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> That sounds like the IR device has moved to a different address due to
>> the new serial device being on a lower hardware address than your IR
>> receiver.  Try using udev to make a fixed device name out of the IR
>> receiver you are trying to use.  This is what I use in
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules to make sure my mother's Hauppauge
>> TD-500 remote is always on /dev/lirc0:
>
>I linked to /dev/lirc0 which is the only remote installed on my
>system; so it doesn't matter where in the chain the device is located.
>
>also, you probably missed the fact that I'm back to exactly the same
>configuration; so absolutely 0 has changed from a hardware perspective
>and it's still causing issue...

Is your BIOS set to "Plug'nPlay OS" or some similar option?  If so,
the BIOS can store hardware config data about how it is assigning
devices to interrupt lines and the like.  Adding a new device can
rearrange the setup, but removing the device does not necessarily get
the BIOS to revert to previous settings.  I am not sure if Linux
kernels completely ignore the BIOS config or not - if not, that could
be the reason that removing the new device has not fixed your problem.
It would certainly be worth turning that option off if you find it is
on.  Or if you are desperate, reset the CMOS RAM and completely
reconfigure the BIOS from scratch.

One other thing that is always worth trying with hardware change
problems like this is to shut down the PC completely (power supply
power switch or wall mains switch off).  Then leave it for at least a
minute to allow the motherboard backup power capacitors to decay and
the motherboard power to be completely gone.  Then reboot.  That
forces all hardware to be cold booted and gets rid of any hardware
lockup conditions.  I have a problem like that with the Realtek
ethernet controller on my motherboard, and it was driving me crazy
until I shut the PC down for several minutes and it started working
again.

>when you read about people with LIRC who gets to struggle with things
>and suddenly it works after a reboot (which was also my case), that
>tend to prove my thinking that LIRC is unreliable as hell these days
>

>> # Hauppauge Nova TD-500 remote control IR receiver
>> SUBSYSTEM=="input", KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2040",
>> ATTRS{idProduct}=="8400", SYMLINK+="lirc0"
>>
>> In my case, the idVendor and idProduct values from lsusb are all that
>> is needed to identify the IR receiver device:
>>
>> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 2040:8400 Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500
>>
>> Then change your /etc/lirc/hardware.conf:
>>
>> REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
>
>already have that

Once I reconfigured my lirc for irkeytables and the new kernel
drivers, it has been rock solid - no problems or flakiness whatsoever.