[mythtv-users] OT(ish) - Roku as a Capture source?

Derek & Cindi Cass cass at casscoenterprises.com
Fri Aug 23 14:18:41 UTC 2013

I say this is OT because it's really a question about how to control a
Roku and program channels with the Roku SDK. But I know of no better
knowledge base then this list for all things related to capturing video
for Myth.

I am a Boston Bruins fan living in down in the south.  I have recently
cut the cord with Dish and no longer have any paid TV service.  I am
planning to purchase the NHL Gamecenter Live package online, but I would
still like to use Myth to record the games, flag the commercials, etc,
and I only want one interface to the TV, and nothing beats Myth.  I
typically watch the games on game night, but I wait an hour or so after
the game starts to give the commflagger a head start, and to ensure that
I don't quite catch up to live before the game ends.

Enter the Roku and it's SDK.  The Roku 3's output is HDMI, so a HD Fury
would need to be used to change the signal to component out, which could
then be captured with my now un-used HDPVR.  Channel selection can be
done with an IR blaster, so from a hardware perspective this can be
done.

The question is one of controlling the Roku. I was envisioning creating
a private channel that would return the "channel" information to the
Roku for the particular game in question.  Mythdb would be the source
for the schedule data as most providers are now listing NHLGCL listings.
I would remove all other channels from the Roku (except the NHL channel,
which I must have since I have to purchase the package), which would
hopefully reduce significantly the amount of key presses that would have
to be sent via the IR Blaster.

To those on this list with Roku development experience, does this sound
remotely feasible?

Thanks,

Derek