[mythtv-users] Slave Backend requirements

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu Aug 22 04:41:16 UTC 2013

On 22/08/2013 2:28 PM, tortise wrote:
> On 22/08/2013 12:52 p.m., Michael Watson wrote:
>
>> Idle shutdown of MBE/SBE works well, and works perfect for a SBE that is
>> used for no other purpose.  It fails miserably when used with a SBE/FE.
>> I use the sleep trigger from the MBE to run a script on SBE/FE that
>> checks and waits for the FE to become idle before shutting down.  As the
>> MBE will only tell a SBE to shutdown once (and assumes that it will do
>> what it is told), this script must also check that the SBE is not
>> schedule to record in the near future, or that it is not performing any
>> commflag/transcoding/userjobs.  NOTE: This is not a complaint, just
>> advice on the pitfalls of using a SBE/FE machine to autoshutdown on
>> idle. My setup works well for me, whilst working with the tools
>> available within myth to achieve my desired outcome.
>
> What I haven't got my head around is what happens where the backend
> has shutdown, and programmed to restart in time for the next scheduled
> recording or perhaps data update, someone comes along before this set
> time and starts a frontend to watch a recording, what happens?  Does
> the Frontend send a WOL packet to the backend, wake it up and allow
> the Frontend to work, presumably with some extra delay while said
> backend wakens? Or does this case just not happen?  Many thanks for
> clarifying.

Exactly. See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN for one way to do
it  (I wrote a Python/tk script to do the same, but with a GUI to show
whats happening - so the kids dont yell "Dad, the TV's not working").
The WakeOnLan settings in config.xml can also be used, but (from memory)
the Frontend doesnt handle it very well when the MBE is not available on
boot.