[mythtv-users] Assistance with digital audio configuration requested

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Aug 21 20:50:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 16:20 -0400, Daryl McDonald wrote:

>                  no sound with
>                 >> or without the patch cord. Initially doing the
>                 sound test in HDMI was
>                 >> successful, I heard "front right" and "front left".
>                 Playing a recording is
>                 >> however mute. Now when I go back into sound
>                 settings, none of the options
>                 >> give an audible test, but with the digital option I
>                 can see the speakers
>                 >> turn blue when I test either one, but no sound.
>                 What can I do now to recover
>                 >> sound?
>                 >>
>                 >> Daryl
>                 >

>         I am set on HDMI, where do I find the box to check, in myth,
>         in settings, or on the TV? A quick look in all these
>         possibilities found no box.
>

>         Daryl
>

> I'm guessing that it has to be a setting in mythtv somewhere because I
> get sound through the TV from other sites and from VLC media player.
> The commands from this link
> "http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2001545" returned command
> not found (approximately) and from the "aplay -L" command I can see it
> is card=generic device=3, but I need help from here. Suggestions
> greatly apreciated.

Mostly irrelevant what the desktop/GUI system wide settings are.

Use the Myth FE setup/audio settings screen:
- rescan
- pick a logical candidate
- tick sensible digital capabilities
- test

Too late now but the open source driver could have been okay with older
AMD h/w.
RadeonHD driver wiki faq..
http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd:feature/
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index1h2

note there is a kernel version minimum requirement for HDMI audio (with
radeonHD).