[mythtv-users] Assistance with digital audio configuration requested

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 22:53:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> boot,
> on
> Ubuntu.
> for

> PC
> have
> have

> system

> function
> >>
> >> Typically, you will want to stick with the drivers available in the
> >> Ubuntu repositories.  If your card has any vendor created drivers
> >> available, you should find them in the "Additional Drivers" app.
> >> Typically Ubuntu will inform you with a popup that vendor provided
> >> drivers are available for your card.
> >>
> >> While in most cases, the open source drivers are adequate... however
> >> advanced features of the card are often only possible with the binary
> >> drivers from the vendor.  For licensing reasons, most distros don't
> >> install these by default.
> >>
> >> What video card do you have?
> >>
> >> It is also possible that the outputs your seeing are only showing one
> >> of the cards.... you may have to do something to switch cards to see
> >> the other device's outputs.
> >

> > I believe that it is a MSI R5450 series VGA/HDMI/DVI 1Gb card. Searching
> for
> > additional drivers shows four options, three of which are "experimental
> > beta" the forth is (post-release updates) and looking at this again
> reminds
> > me that I looked here a while back, tried one? option that failed
> miserably
> > and I ended up wiping and reinstalling 12.04/64. The post-release should
> be
> > OK, do you think? Is there a way to just un install that driver, instead
> of
> > the earlier drastic solution? As I recall the screen was rendered useless
> > last time, I would probably only be able to get a terminal from a live CD
> > boot, didn't think of that then.
> >
> > Daryl
>
> If it fails, you can still get to a console.  The graphics drivers are
> only used in X... just Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2,F3,F4...) to open a terminal
> session.  F7 is your X session.
>
> Often all you need to do if it fails is rename you xorg.conf  (mv
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak) to clear the settings out
> of it... X11 should properly detect the settings and work fine.

I'm still just a tad apprehensive, when I highlight the post-release deiver
it describes itself with the following text:
 3D-accelerated proprietary graphics driver for ATI cards.

This driver is required to fully utilise the 3D potential of some ATI
graphics cards, as well as provide 2D acceleration of newer cards.

All this talk of 3D and 2D acceleration, do you think there is underlying
audio benefits in there somewhere?

Daryl