[mythtv-users] Assistance with digital audio configuration requested

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Aug 20 21:23:39 UTC 2013

>> > I have two options in sound output, analog and digital, neither function
>> > with the patch cord unplugged and only the analog works with the cord
>> > in.
>> > There was a disk with the video card for windows. Any idea how I could
>> > find
>> > software for Ubuntu?
>>
>> Typically, you will want to stick with the drivers available in the
>> Ubuntu repositories.  If your card has any vendor created drivers
>> available, you should find them in the "Additional Drivers" app.
>> Typically Ubuntu will inform you with a popup that vendor provided
>> drivers are available for your card.
>>
>> While in most cases, the open source drivers are adequate... however
>> advanced features of the card are often only possible with the binary
>> drivers from the vendor.  For licensing reasons, most distros don't
>> install these by default.
>>
>> What video card do you have?
>>
>> It is also possible that the outputs your seeing are only showing one
>> of the cards.... you may have to do something to switch cards to see
>> the other device's outputs.
>

> I believe that it is a MSI R5450 series VGA/HDMI/DVI 1Gb card. Searching for
> additional drivers shows four options, three of which are "experimental
> beta" the forth is (post-release updates) and looking at this again reminds
> me that I looked here a while back, tried one? option that failed miserably
> and I ended up wiping and reinstalling 12.04/64. The post-release should be
> OK, do you think? Is there a way to just un install that driver, instead of
> the earlier drastic solution? As I recall the screen was rendered useless
> last time, I would probably only be able to get a terminal from a live CD
> boot, didn't think of that then.
>
> Daryl

If it fails, you can still get to a console.  The graphics drivers are
only used in X... just Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2,F3,F4...) to open a terminal
session.  F7 is your X session.

Often all you need to do if it fails is rename you xorg.conf  (mv
/etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak) to clear the settings out
of it... X11 should properly detect the settings and work fine.