[mythtv-users] BE off line

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Aug 20 03:12:31 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 06:35 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> When scheduled recordings get an "F" on the far right in upcoming
> recordings, the program will not be recorded because my Back End is
> "off line". The first time it happened I followed a wiki or some sort
> of thread suggesting  deleting all cards and connections and reputting
> them subsequently. I was able to record, for a day and a half, and
>  the BE went off line again. If there is a better tack, I'm all ears,
> or eyes as the case may be.

Ah, so you mean an offline recording status (presumably for all upcoming
recordings?).  Assuming you didn't start the backend with the --no-sched
development/testing option, an offline recording status means that all
the backends that could possibly record that showing are offline.

If you have multiple backends, make sure that all of them are still
running and accessible over the network when you see offline status for
upcoming recordings.

If you're only supposed to have one master backend, this is probably due
to an Input Connections configuration issue--generally it's caused
(exactly as you described, where things seem to work for a while then at
some time in the future just stop working) by having some defined, but
unconnected, piece(s) in your setup.  So, for example, having capture
cards defined, but no inputs connected to Video Sources, or having Video
Sources defined, but not connected to any inputs, or having channels
defined but not part of any valid Video Sources (even "shadow"
channels--having multiple copies of channels defined).

If it's the latter, you may be using the right approach to clean it
up--"Delete all capture cards" (not "Delete all capture cards on
<hostname>" /and/ "Delete all video sources."  And, if you're using the
right approach to clean it up, it means you're consistently making the
same mistakes/misconfiguration when re-creating the pieces you've deleted.

See, also, http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034

Mike