[mythtv-users] Genre Information for videos

jklost at woh.rr.com jklost at woh.rr.com
Tue Aug 20 01:30:47 UTC 2013

---- Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 8/19/2013 8:22 PM, jklost at woh.rr.com wrote:
> > I have added videos to my collection that either didn't exist or didn't have a genre set in theMoviewDB.org database.  I joined theMovieDB.org site and made the appropriate changes there.  I then reset and retrieved the details but the videos never show up in the correct genre when browsing by genre.  They all still show up in unknown but any other details I changed (descriptions, release year, etc.) are correct.
> >
> > Am I missing a step?
>
> Did you wait?  It takes a couple days for changes on the web site to
> filter down to the API servers.

Yep, I have been working this for quite a while.  I made my first change months ago and it took less than a half an hour to update the rest of the information.  I had found a movie that also needed a description and the description updates showed up that day.  Months later the genre information still has not shown up.

The first movie I edited was Charlie Chan's Dark Alibi, it is in the public domain and you can get it from the internet archives.  Of course to test, one could take any file that mythtv didn't have a hash value for and place it in the videos directory and see if it gets added correctly.  I don't want to destroy my existing database as I have a large number of recordings but I wonder if the video would import correctly with a fresh database.

> There are separate options for category and genre in the Video Library.
> One can be updated by the metadata grabbers, but the other is set
> manually.  I can't remember off hand which is which.

You can update the category but I have not found a way to update the genre.  Genre appears to be what the metedata grabbers get.  I thought about using categories but I didn't want to go make that many manual updates to get the rest of the movies in my collection to show up correctly.  Good thought tho...