[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Aug 19 23:48:00 UTC 2013

On Aug 19, 2013, at 18:13, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

>> There is no possibility for internal expansion.
>
> With this attitude, I can only assume that you do not own a smartphone
> or tablet, since there no way to upgrade the internal flash storage
> reflow soldered onto the board (or even incorporated onto the SoC
> die!).

I don't plan on adding tuners and hard drives to my phone either. A smartphone is a tool.  MythTV is a hobby, and as with all hobbies, they grow.  This is all that much more important for a new user who doesn't yet know what they want, still experimenting and feeling things out.

>> Now for something to do with ARM that would be very welcome,
>> write an OpenMAX decoder
>
> If someone does, will you promise that if anyone asks if they should
> get a Pi for a FE,  you will refrain from telling them it doesn't have
> enough MHz or RAM, is too "limited", and isn't a "real" platform? Oh
> and also no mention of "exandability"?

No.  I will never respect an RPi as a frontend.  I wouldn't have a problem with someone running a Cortex A7/9/15 board as a frontend.  In fact, I would much rather see that than more Atoms.  I would have to see someone using an A8 before I would consider recommending one.  As I understand it, it has a very weak FPU, even in comparison to the A7.

That said, my own personal preference will always be to have enough CPU to do software decoding.