[mythtv-users] Storage Permission Problems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 19 22:00:28 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 05:37 PM, Mark Pennock wrote:
> I have the mount point permissions set to mythtv for user and group.
> But when the partition gets mounted it goes to the mystery user:group.

You generally--unless using a non-*nix file system, like FAT, that
doesn't support users/groups--need to set ownership and permission on
(each of) the files and directories (including the root directory, which
"becomes" the mount point directory after the file system is mounted)
within the file system that's mounted at the mount point.  The ownership
and permissions of the directory on the parent file system where the
file system is mounted shouldn't matter, as that directory will be
"covered up" by the mounted file system.

Also, make sure you don't put the root of any file system into any
Storage Group directory list.  If you do, then MythTV will not be able
to tell if the file system is mounted or not--as the mount point
directory will exist either way (as a directory on the parent file
system if not mounted, or as the root of the mounted file system if
mounted).  So, always create a subdirectory--at least one level below
the file system root--to put into Storage Group directory lists.

So, if mounting a file system at:

/var/lib/mythtv/Recordings1/

do /not/ put that directory into any Storage Group directory list.
Instead, make a subdirectory:

/var/lib/mythtv/Recordings1/TV/

and put that directory into the Storage Group directory list.  That way,
if the file system is mounted, successfully,
/var/lib/mythtv/Recordings1/TV will exist, but if it's not mounted,
/var/lib/mythtv/Recordings1 will exist, but be empty, so no
/var/lib/mythtv/Recordings1/TV directory will exist.  If the directory
doesn't exist, then MythTV won't use it, and you won't accidentally fill
up the parent file system with recordings (i.e. fill up your root file
system, with MySQL database data or whatever, and crash your database or
otherwise corrupt/fail to write important data).

Mike