[mythtv-users] Fwd: problems Off Thread

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 19 21:17:18 UTC 2013

>>> I'm doing this by having everything record to Default which is set to
>>> my SSD, and then I have another storage group set to /mnt/raid/mythtv
>>> which is on a different set of HDDs.  I then setup a cron job to move
>>> any files from my Default location to /mnt/raid/mythtv.  MythTV will
>>> automatically check through all of your storage groups when looking
>>> for the file to play it back, or delete it.
>>>
>> Unless you are recording insane amounts of simultaneous TV there is no need
>> for (i) recording to SSD, (ii) moving it to HDD or (iii) RAID for media
>> storage.
>>
>> Hard disks are easily fast enough to cope with all but the most unusual of
>> configurations, and media storage is not worth the complication, cost or
>> additional energy usage of RAID.
>
> This actually has nothing to do with the parent's question.  I'm not
> having a problem.  I was simply letting him know what the setup I had
> working looked like, so I could provide additional details if he was
> interested.  I use a SSD as a buffer because the btrfs array I use for
> storing most of my data.  The btrfs array may be CPU bound on my old
> server, but I won't know that until I have time to upgrade.
>
> Again, I don't have a problem.  I was just hoping the details of my
> setup may be able to help John get his setup working the way he
> wanted.

Thanks for starting a new thread; I should have done that too.

My only concern was that you were proposing this as something for a
complete newbie to consider.  He clearly stated that this was his
first Linux system and first Myth system, and your bringing up cron
jobs, raid, multiple storage groups, etc.  Odds are, most of that was
gibberish to him, and, more or less completely, confused him.

I just worry that our community is very unapproachable to those who
are completely new... not because we aren't being helpful, but that we
don't realize just how much we had to learn to get where we are today.
 Most active posters have been running mythtv for well over 5 years...
its easy to forget how clueless we were in the beginning.