[mythtv-users] Fwd: problems

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 19 21:07:50 UTC 2013

>> This is one thing I think we, as members of this mailing list, need to
>> stop doing.  This poor guy clearly stated he is new to linux and
>> mythtv.  I don't know if it's really fair to debate Disk Schedulers,
>> cron jobs, RAID, or any of that crap... it'll probably scare him away;
>> besides these arguments have been done before...at least once a month
>> for the last 10 years.
>>
>> What Ray said was an appropriate response... anything more is advanced
>> optimizations that he can worry about when he is MUCH more comfortable
>> with what he's doing.  Right now, just telling him to open the
>> terminal might be a bit much unless it can't be avoided.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.
>

> The problem wasn't the "debate" on Disk schedulers or RAID (and, FWIW, I
> wasn't debating--only stating facts).  The problem was once there was a post
> that could well make a newbie think, "Oh, no, I have to set up some means of
> recording to fast SSD and then moving to RAID, and I don't even know
> anything about RAID?  I thought this was just a DVR!" we could either let
> that stand as the last post or try to a) assure to the OP that there's no
> need for fancy SSD or moving recordings or RAID and b) explain why it's
> unnecessary (for the benefit of the one with the complex setup--and, if he
> wants to read it too, the OP).
>
> And, who knows, maybe the OP was planning to set up everything with 5
> physical tuners with a total of 5 virtual tuners each and a plan to record
> 25 concurrent shows, and have it all written to a single 3TB HDD.  If so,
> the (not-that-complex) idea of scaling the number of file systems/disks with
> the number of concurrent recordings will be /very/ helpful to him in getting
> started.

Wasn't suggesting that anyone did anything wrong... just that we need
to be aware of how introducing more complex configurations is
perceived by new users, especially users who are new to Linux as well,
and who have probably not maintained a system more complex than their
gaming PC.  There are, quite literally, 1000s of things one could do
to make their MythTV system "better" (depending upon how you define
it).

A first system should be simple.  A single recording drive, default
storage groups, single tuner type, all settings at defaults, etc.

Once you get that working, its not that difficult to expand upon.
Then you can make educated decisions about what tweaks make sense for
you.  There are a ton of tweaks I would recommend, but not to someone
who's still building their first myth system.