[mythtv-users] Installing mythtv on Fedora 19 using RPM Fusion

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Mon Aug 19 20:59:10 UTC 2013

On 08/18/2013 02:28 PM, Bob Shanteau wrote:
> On 8/18/2013 10:56 AM, Michael wrote:
>> On 08/18/2013 10:51 AM, Bob Shanteau wrote:
>>> I am trying to set up the database and I get stuck at these steps
>>> from the Wiki:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Setup MySQL
>>>
>>> We'll need to enable MySQL to load at startup, set some passwords,
>>> and create the MythTV database, which we'll populate shortly. The
>>> population of this database is handled by mythtvsetup in the next
>>> step, and all MythTV add-on module database additions must be done
>>> after running mythtvsetup at least one time.
>>>
>>>     # /sbin/chkconfig mysqld on
>>>     # /sbin/service mysqld start
>>>
>>> Set the MySQL root password.
>>>
>>>     mysql_secure_installation
>>>
>>> Now we create the MythTV database (called mythconverg) to get us
>>> started:
>>>
>>>     $ mysql -u root -p <
>>> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-docs-0.26.0/database/mc.sql
>>> ---
>>>
>>> How do I accomplish the same steps with mariadb?
>>

>> MariaDB is an equivalent for mysql.  Once you have it installed, the
>> same commands work.
>
> What do you mean, "same commands??????
>
> Do you mean I substitute "mardiadb" for "mysql" or not? Either way, it
> didn't work for me. Perhaps because I had already installed and
> uninstalled mysql. It looks like I'll have to reinstall Fedora.
>
> And I take that by "equivalent for sql" you mean that I don't install
> mysql, only maridb. Is that right?

Hello,

Yes, as the other responses have noted, the two packages contain the
same functionality.  Where you type mysql <options> previously, you
would continue to use the same command mysql <options>

The only real difference you should see today is that the package names
are different.

rpm -qa | grep mariadb
mariadb-5.5.31-4.fc19.x86_64
mariadb-server-5.5.31-4.fc19.x86_64
mariadb-libs-5.5.31-4.fc19.x86_64

Do you have those packages installed?

If you didn't resolve your issues, please show us what packages are
installed ( mariadb or mysql ) and what error you are getting when
running the commands.

Michael