[mythtv-users] Fwd: problems Off Thread

Jameson imntreal at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 19:53:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> On 19/08/13 15:40, Jameson wrote:
>>

>> I'm doing this by having everything record to Default which is set to
>> my SSD, and then I have another storage group set to /mnt/raid/mythtv
>> which is on a different set of HDDs.  I then setup a cron job to move
>> any files from my Default location to /mnt/raid/mythtv.  MythTV will
>> automatically check through all of your storage groups when looking
>> for the file to play it back, or delete it.
>>
> Unless you are recording insane amounts of simultaneous TV there is no need
> for (i) recording to SSD, (ii) moving it to HDD or (iii) RAID for media
> storage.
>
> Hard disks are easily fast enough to cope with all but the most unusual of
> configurations, and media storage is not worth the complication, cost or
> additional energy usage of RAID.

This actually has nothing to do with the parent's question.  I'm not
having a problem.  I was simply letting him know what the setup I had
working looked like, so I could provide additional details if he was
interested.  I use a SSD as a buffer because the btrfs array I use for
storing most of my data.  The btrfs array may be CPU bound on my old
server, but I won't know that until I have time to upgrade.

Again, I don't have a problem.  I was just hoping the details of my
setup may be able to help John get his setup working the way he
wanted.

=-Jameson