[mythtv-users] Assistance with digital audio configuration requested

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Mon Aug 19 19:52:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 14:28 -0700, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>         On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM, John Nissley
>         <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
>         > I am running close to the latest trunk of mythtv and for the
>         last few
>         > months I have been having some interesting challenges with
>         digital
>         > audio.
>         > I am running Fedora 18 and an intel CPU with intel graphics
>         and sound
>         > drivers.  A few months ago the digital sound stopped going
>         out through
>         > my spdif connector and started going through my DVI
>         connector that is
>         > connected with a DVI to HDMI connector to my TV.  My TV has
>         a spdif out
>         > but it only works for TV stations the TV tunes and not sound
>         coming in
>         > from an HDMI port.  I am trying to get the digital sound to
>         go through
>         > my SPDIF connection so I can get it to my tuner.
>         > Can anyone point me in the direction to get this resolved?
>         > Many thanks..
>

>         If the sound is being carried VIA the graphics cable, then
>         most likely
>         you have two sound devices in your system.  One is probably a
>         standard
>         Intel or Realtek HDA hosting your spdif.  The other is likely
>         associated with your video card.  In mythtv's playback menus,
>         make
>         sure that your explicitly telling it to use the standard sound
>         card,
>         not the video card.
>
> There was also a change to ALSA in kernel 3.8 which broke S/PDIF. It
> was about device numbering or something. It was broken in favor of
> fixing HDMI sound, but I think a newer version of alsa-lib can fix it,
> but you'd need to re-scan in myth. It may not solve your problem, but
> it might be something worth exploring.
>

> Karl

Thanks for your response. I am on kernel version 3.10.7-100 fc18 and my
alsa lib is alsa-lib-1.0.26-2.fc18.x86_64.  Do you have any idea if this
is the offending lib version and if so what is the best way to replace
it with a new one.  I have even tried installing a stand alone PCI sound
card just to make sure it was not in internal motherboard issue and
still no success.  I have basically tested with all available sound
outputs that mythtv give me and found that only the HDMI and analog
outputs work.