[mythtv-users] Fwd: problems

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 19 18:58:20 UTC 2013

>>> I'm doing this by having everything record to Default which is set to
>>> my SSD, and then I have another storage group set to /mnt/raid/mythtv
>>> which is on a different set of HDDs.  I then setup a cron job to move
>>> any files from my Default location to /mnt/raid/mythtv.  MythTV will
>>> automatically check through all of your storage groups when looking
>>> for the file to play it back, or delete it.
>>>
>> Unless you are recording insane amounts of simultaneous TV there is no
>> need for (i) recording to SSD, (ii) moving it to HDD or (iii) RAID for media
>> storage.
>>
>> Hard disks are easily fast enough to cope with all but the most unusual of
>> configurations, and media storage is not worth the complication, cost or
>> additional energy usage of RAID.
>

> Especially if you have a separate file system--ideally on separate
> spindles--for each concurrent recording you do and you use an appropriate
> Storage Group Disk Scheduler (such as Combination or Balanced I/O--basically
> just never use "Balanced Free Space" or "Balanced Percent Free Space",
> regardless of how much you think you want to :).
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups#Storage_Group_Disk_Scheduler

This is one thing I think we, as members of this mailing list, need to
stop doing.  This poor guy clearly stated he is new to linux and
mythtv.  I don't know if it's really fair to debate Disk Schedulers,
cron jobs, RAID, or any of that crap... it'll probably scare him away;
besides these arguments have been done before...at least once a month
for the last 10 years.

What Ray said was an appropriate response... anything more is advanced
optimizations that he can worry about when he is MUCH more comfortable
with what he's doing.  Right now, just telling him to open the
terminal might be a bit much unless it can't be avoided.

Just my 2 cents.