[mythtv-users] Fwd: problems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 19 14:58:21 UTC 2013

On 08/19/2013 10:45 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 19/08/13 15:40, Jameson wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Raymond Wagner
>> <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Go into mythtv-setup, Storage Directories, and give it a path to record
>>> to.  "Default" and "LiveTV" are the two built in recording storage
>>> groups, or you can define your own that you can specify to use when
>>> creating recording rules.
>>
>> I'm doing this by having everything record to Default which is set to
>> my SSD, and then I have another storage group set to /mnt/raid/mythtv
>> which is on a different set of HDDs.  I then setup a cron job to move
>> any files from my Default location to /mnt/raid/mythtv.  MythTV will
>> automatically check through all of your storage groups when looking
>> for the file to play it back, or delete it.
>>
> Unless you are recording insane amounts of simultaneous TV there is no
> need for (i) recording to SSD, (ii) moving it to HDD or (iii) RAID for
> media storage.
>
> Hard disks are easily fast enough to cope with all but the most
> unusual of configurations, and media storage is not worth the
> complication, cost or additional energy usage of RAID.

Especially if you have a separate file system--ideally on separate
spindles--for each concurrent recording you do and you use an
appropriate Storage Group Disk Scheduler (such as Combination or
Balanced I/O--basically just never use "Balanced Free Space" or
"Balanced Percent Free Space", regardless of how much you think you want
to :).
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups#Storage_Group_Disk_Scheduler

Mike