[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Aug 19 14:54:12 UTC 2013

On 08/16/2013 06:53 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2013, at 17:23, Greg Cope wrote:
>
>> On 16 August 2013 21:43, Raymond Wagnerwrote:
>>

>>     On Aug 16, 2013, at 16:14, Tyler T wrote:
>>
>>     Depending on your circumstances, such as a handful of broadcast
>>     channels with a handful of recording rules, a low end ARM would
>>     work just fine.  When you have lots of recording rules, or a
>>     large backlog of past recordings for duplicate matching, an ARM
>>     isn't going to cut it, and even an Atom is likely going to delay
>>     long enough that you're going to have delayed or dropped recordings.
>>

>> I have lots (1000?) of recordings (SD) and my Atom does fine.
>
> The more old recordings

and recording rules and recording history

> you have, the longer the scheduler query takes doing duplicate
> matching.  Check your backend logs and see how long your scheduler
> runs are.  Usually somewhere around a minute is where problems start
> to manifest.

Right.  Though you can make even an Atom work well by getting rid of
stuff--after all, that's exactly what Intel did (they took a useful CPU
and cut out stuff to make it hit their TDP requirements).

So, just start deleting recordings (and/or moving them to Video
Library--which isn't a bad idea on Atom or with better CPU's) and
recording rules (Manage Recordings|Recording Rules, then set rules to
"Do not record this program") and recording history (Manage
Recordings|Previously Recorded, then MENU|Delete Episode or "Delete all
episodes of '<show>'").

Of course, this is the "bend my expectations to the underpowered
hardware" approach to using MythTV.  Personally, I prefer the "right
tool for the job" approach, but hey, feel free to hammer those screws in
with that saw you picked up if you like.  :)

Mike