[mythtv-users] Fire-wire wrapper to turn on STB [solved]

Joel Newcomb joelnewcomb at verizon.net
Sat Aug 17 16:48:57 UTC 2013

On 08/16/2013 05:00 PM, Joel Newcomb wrote:
> On 08/15/2013 07:44 PM, jlistspam wrote:

>>> How about just adding to the start of the channel change script to
>>> always send a Menu command, wait a short period, then send an Exit
>>> command and wait a short period again?
>>>
>>> The reason for using a more complicated setup in the other thread was
>>> because the only way to wake up the STB was a Power command that was a
>>> toggle and would turn off the STB if it was already on.  If your Menu
>>> command is harmless if your STB is already on, then you can just use
>>> it in a straightforward manner to ensure the STB is going to be on.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> There is an exit command in the 6200ch "-e" to go along with the "-m"
>> menu command:
>>
>>    /usr/local/bin/6200ch -g 0x001bxxxxxx   -m
>>    sleep 1
>>    /usr/local/bin/6200ch -g 0x001bxxxxxxx   -e
>>
>> There is also a setting in the boxes menu settings to turn off the
>> sleep.  I did that a couple weeks ago.  But don't remember exactly
>> where it was.  Now my box doesn't sleep again.
>>
>> John

> I wanted to say thanks to all the replied, I will work through the
> suggestions this weekend. Easiest would be to find if indeed the
> QIP7100-1 has a setting to turn off the standby after time. My 6200ch
> channel changer seems to want different command ordering. If I
> understand the scripts suggested, I can make Myth call my own script
> with these commands before the actual channel change.
> Thanks again

List, after watching another HD box (QIP6200-2) connected to my remote
front-end machine, discovered there is a standby time in the "settings"
menu. I changed to never. So I then this morning, connected my monitor
via DVI to HDMI cable and got the menu up. Changed the standby setting
to never. This took care of the daily annoyance of the box going into
standby. But still, occasionally a update or power outage leaves the box
in an off state. So following the suggestions of others, I attempted to
create a script to send "menu"& "exit", then the 6200ch channel change.
I had to experiment a bit with ordering, googled some rudimentary bash
problems, fought with permissions, but ended up with this:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/6200ch -v -g 0x0024xxxxxxxxxxxxx -m -q
sleep 2
/usr/local/bin/6200ch -v -g 0x0024xxxxxxxxxxxxx -e -q
/usr/local/bin/6200ch -v -g 0x0024xxxxxxxxxxxxx -4 $1

I then substituted my script name into mythtv-setup for cable box
channel change. Then turned off the cable box and scheduled a recording.
The STB then came on received my two commands and set to recording channel.
Hope this helps someone else, thanks again all.

--
Joel Newcomb
joelnewcomb at verizon.net