[mythtv-users] Assistance with digital audio configuration requested

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Aug 16 21:28:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org>
> wrote:
> > I am running close to the latest trunk of mythtv and for the last few
> > months I have been having some interesting challenges with digital
> > audio.
> > I am running Fedora 18 and an intel CPU with intel graphics and sound
> > drivers.  A few months ago the digital sound stopped going out through
> > my spdif connector and started going through my DVI connector that is
> > connected with a DVI to HDMI connector to my TV.  My TV has a spdif out
> > but it only works for TV stations the TV tunes and not sound coming in
> > from an HDMI port.  I am trying to get the digital sound to go through
> > my SPDIF connection so I can get it to my tuner.
> > Can anyone point me in the direction to get this resolved?
> > Many thanks..
>
> If the sound is being carried VIA the graphics cable, then most likely
> you have two sound devices in your system.  One is probably a standard
> Intel or Realtek HDA hosting your spdif.  The other is likely
> associated with your video card.  In mythtv's playback menus, make
> sure that your explicitly telling it to use the standard sound card,
> not the video card.

There was also a change to ALSA in kernel 3.8 which broke S/PDIF. It was
about device numbering or something. It was broken in favor of fixing HDMI
sound, but I think a newer version of alsa-lib can fix it, but you'd need
to re-scan in myth. It may not solve your problem, but it might be
something worth exploring.

Karl