[mythtv-users] Anyone using arm with mythbackend?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Aug 16 20:43:34 UTC 2013

On Aug 16, 2013, at 16:14, Tyler T <tylernt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see the anti-ARM crowd has already jumped in. Here's the reality: I use a SheevaPlug (same ARM CPU as the Seagate mentioned earlier) for my Myth BE and it works just fine.

The reality is that MythTV has some very time-limited, intensive operations.  On average, your backend is going to be sitting completely idle.  Batch tasks like can be offloaded to another machine, and preview generation really doesn't matter if it takes a fraction of a second longer.  For those handful of instances that do require power (namely anything dealing with guide data), we cannot recommend people cut things short.

Depending on your circumstances, such as a handful of broadcast channels with a handful of recording rules, a low end ARM would work just fine.  When you have lots of recording rules, or a large backlog of past recordings for duplicate matching, an ARM isn't going to cut it, and even an Atom is likely going to delay long enough that you're going to have delayed or dropped recordings.