[mythtv-users] Fire-wire wrapper to turn on STB

Joel Newcomb joelnewcomb at verizon.net
Thu Aug 15 01:13:49 UTC 2013

Myhtv users, I have another problem to solve and I am hoping the list
can once again point me in the right direction. I am running a firewire
channel change script, 6200ch, and it has worked well for quite some
time. It seems as my FIOS QIP 7100-1 STB has been upgraded to a greener
firmware and objects to me leaving it on continuously. As such, every 4
hours, it turns itself to what I have read as stand-by. So it responds
to -q as on when it is in standby. This of course fails my recording and
much frustration.
I have discovered that sending a menu command will wake it up, however
recording the menu until timeout is not appealing. I was wondering if
this is something I could use the system_event to trigger a script to
send "menu" then "exit". Maybe even throw in a sleep to stabilize the
box before my channel change later. That way it is all settled down for
the HDPVR to start recording. I think all this could be done with a
wrapper script triggered by system_event. I have been following another
thread this week with very close problem, but did not want to hijack for
my problem.
This is an Mythbuntu flavor, running 0.26 fixes, on a combined FE/BE
machine. I have the recordings waking/shut-down up this machine and
recording to the HDPVR through component/optical connections. I have
learned all I know of Linux working through my MythTV set-up, but with
only minor adjustments to others scripts. Can anyone get me started or
offer advice?
Thanks in advance,
Joel

--