[mythtv-users] frontend issues after upgrade

Dan Kressin dkressin at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 12 13:20:13 UTC 2013

>Screen size wizard - I found it does not work well in 0.24, 0.25 and 0.26. I found it easier to use trial
>and error by putting in different values into the screen size parameters until it was correct
>
>You should not login as mythtv, that is an "application" id intended for use with daemons and such.

>You can use your default dkressin id to login for the frontend, or create a special user id for that. I

>would recommend you create a new user id for the front end. You can set auto logon to that user

>and set up the mythtv frontend to be auto started upon logon to that id. If you want the system to
>logout after you exit from mythtv create a shell script that runs mythfrontend and then invokes the

>command "gnome-session-quit --no-prompt". Run that shell script as a startup task from your user id.

>I am running a similar setup with frontend and backend using a script.
>My script is here http://code.google.com/p/mythtv-scripts/source/browse/trunk/install/opt/mythtv/bin/startfrontend.sh

>in case you want to look at it. It does a bunch of other stuff too.
>
>In 0.24 upwards the Terra theme is default but I have not had a problem changing it. Perhaps this is

>something to do with logging on as mythtv. I personally find the steppes theme to be the best.

I've completed the update to 12.04 / 0.25+fixes.

I ended up resizing the screen by hand (using a grid image full screen in GIMP to get a rough idea and then slightly tweaking from there).  Looks good.

Thanks for sharing your script -- gnome-session-quit is not working.  I get an error like "The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files", which seems like a common issue in 12.04.  This is now logging in with my normal user account.  In any case, I've got VNC running and can just manually restart GDM should I need to.  (I don't keep a kbd/mouse attached to this system.)

Also, once I got to 0.25 the theme changing issue went away.  I am now happily configured with mythcenter-wide.

Thanks for the feedback,
-Dan