[mythtv-users] Duplicate detection not working on series.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 9 04:39:38 UTC 2013

On 08/08/2013 11:29 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 08/08/2013 03:04 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>>
>>> Usually...and by that I mean 99.9999999% of the time, my duplicate
>>> detection works fine.
>>>
>>> I noticed a show that I taped here on TVO in Toronto recorded a couple of
>>> duplicates. Another series, Fry's Planet Word is doing the same tonight.The
>>> series is set to record all episodes. Duplicate checking is subtitle then
>>> description.
>>>
>>> The episode that recorded a couple of nights ago:
>>>
>>> The Power and the Glory
>>> Stephen Fry investigates storytelling, which has been around as long as
>>> language itself.
>>>
>>> The one recording tomorrow morning:
>>>
>>> The Power and the Glory
>>> Stephen Fry investigates storytelling, which has been around as long as
>>> language itself.
>>>
>>> Any idea why it's not catching the duplicate listing? Anything else I can
>>> check?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Duplicate_matching
>>
>> and, most likely,
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/548542#548542
>> and
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/548543#548543
>>
>> If not, the program ID's are different.
>
> Strange...same episode but the program id's are different but not generic:
>
> program id EP016356150005
> program id EP014775030005

In that case (and I'm assuming Schedules Direct data), either the
episodes are from two different series or something strange is going on
with that one.  Those episodes are using different series ID's--the
start of the programid should be the same for all shows in a given
series.  It's possible that they are actually different series (like an
"original" and "export" version of the series?), or maybe TMS needed to
change the seriesid for some reason or made a mistake and created 2
separate series for it.

TMS does have 2 different series listed:

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/frys-planet-word/EP01477503
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/frys-planet-word/EP01635615

where the older (EP01477503) has a very generic series description
compared to the much better new description in EP01635615.  (I'm
guessing the previously-recorded episode was EP014775030005 , right?)

It's possible SD could find out more with an inquiry to TMS.  Perhaps
you should file a ticket with Schedules Direct.

So, basically, MythTV is doing the right thing, but for some reason the
data says they're different episodes (or, more precisely, episodes from
different series).  Once you re-record the series with the new series
ID, you won't get more duplicates.  :)  (Or, you could actually mark
them Never Record if you notice one you've already seen in the listings
before it records.)

Mike