[mythtv-users] Frontend as cable settop box--using Live-TV

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 19:47:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> There's always the Russian option - most TVs these days actually have
> tuners in them. If someone wants to watch Live TV then perhaps they could
> do exactly that? It's the same signal that goes to all the tuners in the
> cupboard, after all. And it saves recording and viewing something you
> probably didn't want to save anyway, while myth carries on recording all
> the important stuff.

I refer my honourable friend to the 2nd & 3rd (full) paragraphs of my
original message from some moments ago.

But to recap: having just purchased a new TV (finally) capable of tuning a
small subset of the channels coming thru the wire, my U.S. cable operator
(Comcast) will shortly be removing any chance of me tuning them, without
renting some kind of box from them.  In my mind, better a one time up-front
investment (of a another frontend, and running network cable) than a
recurring monthly charge to Comcrap, minimal though it might be (probably
$1.99/month) for an HD-DTA.  With the added benefit of being able to
watching anything in the bedroom, not just live TV.

Of course, I have ulterior motives to "upgrade"...as I would rotate to the
bedroom (to serve this new TV) an existing Mini-ITX Atom/ION2 setup (with
optical drive so DVD's playback is covered), and then buy a new one to
replace its current location in the office, probably a Mini-ITX Core i3/5,
which could have other power uses as well (comflagging, transcoding, etc).
The master backend is a (low wattage) triple core Athlon-II, but in my mind
it doesn't hurt to spend a few more bucks when building another system to
have something to lessen the load for peak activities.