[mythtv-users] Shows Chopped Up and Long Queue of Comm Flag / Metadata Jobs

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Tue Aug 6 14:52:30 UTC 2013

> In defense of process monitors, I run one not because myth is unreliable,
> but because it is so reliable that it may take several days or more
> before
> I notice it isn't running -- by which time I've missed a few of my wife's
> favorite programs.  Since I don't watch TV every night (or sometimes for
> more than a week, even when home), I can't otherwise monitor the system.
> Do you have any other suggestions if a process monitor isn't the
> preferred
> strategy?

George, what I do is ping the myth backend status page (a http: page,
whether you use mythweb or not), and I find if it doesn't return
anything, then I have monit restart the backend... this works better
than just looking for the process because it takes into account if the
backend has hung but not exited... at work right now, so I can't give it
exactly, but I found it from a google search..

The issue I had in the past was my old machine would hang the process
once every few months, so shows would just stop recording but the
backend was still running - when this happened the status page wouldn't
work so that was the key to respawn the backend for monit.

--Kris