[mythtv-users] Shows Chopped Up and Long Queue of Comm Flag / Metadata Jobs

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 14:36:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> fixed top-posting
>

> On 08/05/2013 04:17 PM, George Galt wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>
>>  On 8/5/2013 4:09 PM, George Galt wrote:
>>>
>>>  and I'm getting new logs every 10 minutes:

>>> automatically restarting it.  That last number before ".log" is the
>>> process
>>> ID.
>>>
>>> Any idea what that is that keeps connecting to your backend?  A frontend
>>> should initially connect as "Playback" rather than "Monitor", and even if
>>> your backend got confused and started connecting back to itself as a
>>> slave,
>>> it would show up as "SlaveBackend".
>>>
>> Got me, but I'll start digging.  Thanks for giving me a lead!
>>

> Yeah.  It looks a lot like another case of someone's process monitor,
> that's set up to ensure MythTV is always running because one assumes MythTV
> is bound to crash, went haywire and is killing and restarting a
> perfectly-functional mythbackend.  (I still think there are far more cases
> of the monitors causing problems than of installations of stable versions
> of MythTV having problems.)
>
> Mike

Mike:

You are correct, and sorry for the top-post.  I've had a successful process
monitor for years, but made a slight tweak before leaving on vacation.
Unfortunately, I somehow altered the line to determine if the process is
running ("systemctl status mythbackend.service") to match the line for
restarting the process.

In defense of process monitors, I run one not because myth is unreliable,
but because it is so reliable that it may take several days or more before
I notice it isn't running -- by which time I've missed a few of my wife's
favorite programs.  Since I don't watch TV every night (or sometimes for
more than a week, even when home), I can't otherwise monitor the system.
Do you have any other suggestions if a process monitor isn't the preferred
strategy?

George