[mythtv-users] What ate my mythtv executables?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Aug 5 15:48:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Stephan Seitz
<stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 10:30:11AM -0400, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>
>> delete files when told to delete them... otherwise, I have never seen
>> a filesystem just "lose" files that were written successfully (as
>> yours were since you had just used them)
>

> Oh, I have heart of it. A buggy raid controller refused to write the data to
> disk and kept them only in its battery buffered memory. It was very strange.

I'm gonna split hairs a bit... but that's not a file system problem.

And I suppose that in some very special circumstances, one could write
data to volatile storage without realizing it.  For example, he could
have inadvertently booted his system to the LiveCD and done his
install on that rather than to his local system (though apt wouldn't
show the software installed).

Either way, while it's certainly conceivable that the file system
would fail to write files, it's highly unlikely that he would have
been able to execute them if it had.  And once written, the files
don't just disappear unless you delete the inode... not something that
file systems do randomly.

Perhaps a file system scan ran upon boot and 'fixed' issues found,
which removed the files?  You could check the fsck logs (though Ubuntu
doesn't maintain them:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/513644).