[mythtv-users] record at any time on channel <CHANNEL> is missing in master soon to be .27

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sat Aug 3 22:06:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-03 at 21:37 +1000, Anthony Giggins wrote:

> On 25/07/2013, at 3:48 AM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:45:37 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Stephen Worthington <
> >> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> > Complaints about the crappy EPG data fall on completely deaf ears. Sky
> > NZ wants us all to pay them a monthly fee to use one of their MySky
> > boxes to record with - they do not care at all about other users of
> > their EPG data.  In fact, I am sure that if their technology allowed,
> > they would encrypt the EPG data to prevent anyone else using it.
> > Fortunately, they have a large number of customers like myself still
> > using their old decoder boxes.  The various Freeview companies are a
> > little better, in that they have recently been adding some
> > series/episode data to some of their EPG, but they still have little
> > clue about the right way to do things.  So our crappy EPG data problem
> > is unlikely to ever be resolved properly short of the government
> > legislating for it - which will never happen with the current
> > government.  Hence the need for MythTV to be able to cope with crappy
> > EPG.
>
> Sounds like our nz neighbours need a shepherd equivalent
>
> Much better then the data provided by the over the air EPG
>
> Cheers,
>
> Anthony

The problem is "good" data has to come from somewhere &/or someone has
to pay for this service.

SkyNZ's lawyers consider EPG sourced from their dvb-s service as
copyright protected.
Luckily the existing dvb-s EPG/EIT is required to be unencrypted.
I assume the SkyNZ dvb-s derived EPG is identical to the Freeview dvb-s
EPG for all the free-to-air programmes.
SkyNZ probably provides the FTA freeview sat uplink services anyway.
The downlink is on the same satellite transponder.

Lots of NZers don't know that their sat dish can provide FTA (SD)
channels.

EPG/EIT can be extracted from FTA dvb-t by external scripts but this is
not integrated into mythtv.

I believe SkyNZ provides good EPG to it's Igloo (dvb-t2 livetv) &
mySKYHDi (dvb-s/s2? recorder) devices over a private internet
connection.
The defunct Tivo service (dvb-t) required internet connection for EPG
etc & did not have EPG listings for all channels.

So there is commercial bias to make FTA EPG only just good enough for
LiveTV, because paying customers have private EPG.

SkyNZ has >50% market but bizarrely the FTA channels are most watched
through their boxes..

The majority seem to want the shared social experience of watching the
same thing at the same time, & that is being reinforced by social
networking on SWD inc smartTV. Good EPG is not required.

B.