[mythtv-users] Hauppage Nova-TD (USB) warm start problem

mythtv . mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 13:55:57 UTC 2013

This is a follow-on from the thread last week... to summarise, the problem
that myself and a few others have found seems to be as follows:

* If a PC with a Nova-TD USB stick has been powered down and unplugged, the
stick is detected at startup in a "cold" state, firmware is pushed to it,
and it works well.

* If a PC with a Nova-TD USB stick has been powered down but not unplugged
(so the USB port remains powered) the stick is detected at startup in a
"warm" state. No firmware is pushed. The first recording following this
powerup will fail with a zero-length file. Subsequent recordings are OK.

Some people who have this problem don't suffer much inconvenience because
they leave their back ends powered all the time. Others, such as myself,
have the machines automatically starting to record programmes and then
shutting down again, which means that a significant proportion of
recordings are the "first recording following a warm start" and thus fail.

At this point I'm not sure whether this is a MythTV problem or a linuxTV /
kernel issue, but I suspect that it might be solvable at a number of
different levels. Does anybody have any ideas? My initial thoughts on
solutions are along three lines:

1. Any way to get the USB port's power to be cut off when the PC is powered
down? (My guess on this is "no")
2. Any way to force the driver to send the firmware to the device on a warm
boot as well as a cold one? (This seems like not a MythTV issue, and may or
may not solve the problem)
3. Any way to get MythTV to do a short "dummy" recording when it starts up,
so that the first recording following a warm boot is never one that is
wanted?

Thanks for any advice, whether on the ideas above or towards other
solutions.

-Simon.

--
Simon Waldman
swaldman at firecloud.org.uk

Simon,

One further point. I think (well I am 99% certain but am not able to check
currently) that even restarting mythbackend alone will cause the problem

Martin