[mythtv-users] MythTV should react on stop of DVB stream

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Wed Apr 24 05:21:03 UTC 2013

HI!

On 14.04.2013 22:37, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> FWIW, if the driver tells MythTV there's a problem, MythTV reacts.
> IMHO, the driver should figure out if there's a problem, and MythTV
> shouldn't be trying to figure it out for you.  Different hardware works
> differently and the whole point of drivers is to insulate applications
> from those differences.  Trying to figure out a proper value for when to
> say, "Obviously this card or driver is broken, and I, the Great and
> Powerful MythTV, am smarter than both the card and the driver, so I
> shall unilaterally just start hammering the (same|different) card to try
> to stop a recording and start it over," would probably mean that it kind
> of works for some, it causes problems for others, and it's right for
> maybe one.
>
> So, the best solution is to have working hardware (mine just works,
> FWIW).  The 2nd best solution is to have drivers that detect when your
> hardware fails and gives the application an error, so it can react to
> valid information, rather than conjecture.  Granted, it can be a
> challenge to work within the bounds of "I want hardware that just works"
> when constrained by operator requirements (with DRM and access control
> and ...), but that's the challenge of using your own built-from-scratch
> DVR rather than the one the service provider has customized to work with
> their system.

In an ideal world, where all hardware and software works as specified, I
would agree. But it's not.

In my case, at the scheduled end of the recording, MythtV recognizes the
problem by writing something like that in the log:

"Poll took an unusually long time 4907229 ms"

Why not give up after 10 seconds and restart the recording, if it's a
one-time only recording? That would not fix my hardware or software
problem, but it would be much easier to live with it. And it should not
be too hard for MythTV to do this.

Thomas