[mythtv-users] beaglebone black edition as mythtv frontend?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 18:59:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Karl Dietz
<dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>wrote:

> On 23.04.2013 19:55, Matt Emmott wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Karl Dietz
>> <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org <mailto:dekarl@**spaetfruehstuecken.org<dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org>
>> >>

>> wrote:
>>
>>     for 10 $currency more then taht you can get a AMD E-350 board and
>>     another 10 $currency for 2 GB of memory.
>>
>>     with the latest developments in amd drivers you even have a chance to
>>     get hardware offloading without doing development yourself :-)
>>

>> Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't make any sense at all. You're
>> quoting the price for just a board and RAM. The Beagleboards and
>>

> Someone posted a reference to a naked board, I did not investigate how
> much additional cost there is until you can use it. I just looked up the
> German price for the part and how much more you'd have to pay for a
> (mostly) supported part.
>
> Both will need a case, a PSU, some local storage or remote boot (I
> prefer the latter, others prefer the former), some kind of remote, etc.

No, the Beagleboard includes a PSU and has 2GB onboard storage.Not enough
to store recordings but enough for a bare bones FE.

>  Raspberry Pis and their ilk are complete systems for under $75 when all
>> is said and done. I can't find anything even close based on an AMD E350.
>>

> Almost all embedded boards come with closed video hardware. And the
> ones that are not closed do need additional development to support the
> video decoder. Until someone does this work they are unusable, doesn't
> matter how low the price is.

I have a Raspberry PI and it plays back 1080P Blu-Ray and 1080i MythTV
recordings just fine, albeit with a one-time $5 licensing fee.

>  If you can find a complete system for your $65 price point I'd love to
>> see it.

My Raspberry Pi with cheap case, cheap power adapter, SD card and license
fee came in at right around that price.

> Well, the 65 price point is for whatever you get for 45 with the cheap
> ARM boards.
>
> Every time I see these cheap boards on offer I'm wondering why the Asian
> manufacturers don't offer a modern TV attached computer in a little bit
> higher price range (say 75). They can save chips/cores if they use HDMI
> for control and networking, just add a cheap case for the vesa mount
> and make sure that the TV's USB bus can power it.

Agreed.