[mythtv-users] Recent "pixelation" or "glitches" in recordings (HDHR related?)

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Tue Apr 23 17:26:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Kenneth Emerson
<kenneth.emerson at gmail.com>wrote:

> I am not sure if the problem I'm seeing is related to the thread started
> by Gary Buhrmaster (HDHR glitches and MythTV) so I apologize in advance of
> possibly splitting a previous thread.  I have two three HDHR devices (an
> older, white case dual OTA tuner, a newer black case OTA tuner, and the
> HDHR Prime with cable card).  Within the past four weeks I've been seeing
> glitches (some call it pixelation) in the playback of recordings.  I first
> attributed it to the possibility that my antenna got rotated by some of the
> high winds we've had (I've not checked my signal quality yet).  However,
> I've since noticed the same glitches occurring on my HDHR Prime on several
> different channels.  Since this is coming over cable, I'd not expect this
> type of signal (rarely had it before), so I now suspect something more
> sinister within either changes to MythTV or problems with the firmware in
> the HDHRs.
>
> I've upgraded the firmware in all three devices to the March 28, 2013
> version with no change.  I'm currently running:
>
> MythTV Version : v0.27-pre2-760-g575f7d9
> MythTV Branch : master
> Network Protocol : 77
> Library API : 0.27.20130301-1
> QT Version : 4.8.1
> Options compiled in:
>  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
> using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
> using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec
> using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_libudf
> using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit
> using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
> using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
> using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
> using_mheg using_libxml2 using_libudf
>
> Are others running from Git Master seeing these problems?  Is it just with
> the HDHR tuners?
>
> I do have an internal DVB tuner that I may re-install into MythTV this
> weekend to see if these issues disappear.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Ken E

I had similar issues with my HDHR Prime in the past (for a few weeks) until
I sorted it out.

Backend Details
Quad-core 8GB ram
MythTV 0.26+fixes
MythTV storage is NFS mounted from my NAS (5TB storage)
Backend set to keep 50GB free

I ran my backend disk space almost completely full (just the 50GB buffer),
and just allowed MythTV to delete watched content when it needed space.
After doing this for awhile I started to notice the pixelation issue on my
HDHR Prime. Nothing had changed, so I decided to manually delete all my
watched recordings (I don't recall why I decided to try that), and freed up
1+TB on my storage. Since I did that, I've not had the pixelation issue
again.

I'm not sure if Comcast was just having some issues (the recordings that
had pixelation spanned recording dates of a few weeks, so doubtful), or if
having an almost full drive was causing issues (50GB isn't that much free
space when recording 3 HD broadcasts).

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos