[mythtv-users] Need assistance making a MythTV internals diagram

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Fri Apr 19 04:02:27 UTC 2013

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:09:19, Thomas Mashos asked:

> 1) What is mythtranscode, mythjobqueue, mythmediaserver, and mythpreviewgen
> writing to the database

MythTranscode: Mostly position-map data for the new file.

MythJobQueue: A little status info, showing progress of the current & pending jobs.

MythMediaServer: Nothing - read-only?

MythPreviewGen: Nothing. It creates a preview file in the directory (storage group) containing the recording, based on looking up the recording (channel, stattime, the bookmark or default preview start time).

> 2) What is mythfrontend doing with the database

Reading:
* theme and language data,
* recording or video or music info to display to the user,
* location of a selected file to playback,
* audio and video output settings to setup the playback window, decoder and deinterlacing filter,
* position-map data to allow fast navigation in the playback.

Writing a new bookmark location to trigger a mythpreviewgen execution.

Reading/writing editing cutpoints (possibly from reading commercial-skip position maps).

> 3) what is the master backend doing with the secondary backend (and vice
> versa)

Not an expert, but I think;

Master can ask slave to:
* shutdown or sleep,
* delete current or expired recordings,
* start/stop a recording (or Live TV chain),
* get status info, like how full slave's storage
group dirs are, what recordings are occurring, et c.

Generally, there isn't much the other way.
When a slave starts up, it simply informs the
master it is there and available to record?

> 4) what is mythweb doing with the database and backends

Basically, exactly the same as MythFrontend.

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au| I've been talking to |
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | the ship's computer. |