[mythtv-users] intel 24p (was: nVidia driver 304.88: problems)

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 22:10:49 UTC 2013

Hi

On 19 April 2013 04:51, George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com> wrote:

> I did configure it as described in the wiki and it did work with my nVidia
> card. Now I'm using intel's on-chip graphics but myth doesn't switch the
> framerate despite the fact I'm playing a 24fps video and xrandr shows a
> 24fps mode available for my TV.

now that is weird.
doesn't xrandr shows the list of modes available ?

> Even if it did the switch it's still not very useful as most movie videos
> are 23.97fps and displaying those on a TV in 24Hz mode will get you an
> extra frame every few seconds and that's what we're trying to avoid.

yes, unfortunately, xrandr uses shorts to represent the refresh rate, not a
float.

having said that, with xrandr 1.2 and later, there may be an option, I see
with the latest ubuntu the xrandr command displays 59.9 and a few 24hz
entries... so there must be a way to represent them.

myth is using the old xrandr API...

i need to look into it.

> > If you can change using xrandr, then myth can change, it pretty much
> does exactly what xrandr does internally.
>
> xrandr has a option where you can give the name of the timings and it will
> switch the display accordingly. I can see where it's getting the name from
> X and matching against the command line value but not where it's begin
> applied. In any case xrandr is doing something that myth isn't and it's
> doing it with standard calls.

we could create the modeline and switch to them on the fly if we were to
use the newer xrandr options...

> Well, xrandr is apparently questioning X and parsing the mode name using
> standard calls and it looks like it's one source program for all platforms
> so this is definitely possible.

there's more than one API for xrandr, it has received some love lately...
but myth doesn't support it.